The second 'spooky' film for October is the 2000 spoof of 1960s Beach Party/Gidget films and slasher horror flicks, Psycho Beach Party. Although the film itself is not actually scary, it's still a great Halloween film! And one of my favourite films of all-time.
The best costumes are all of the great bathers/swimsuits. Now, I'm not a beach person - in fact, I would go so far as to say I positively loathe the beach but I love swimsuits! And surf music.
Lauren Ambrose, who stars as Florence 'Chicklet' Forrest, has the most costume changes in terms of swimsuits and I think they're all very cute.
But almost every cast member is seen in a swimsuit at least once! Amy Adams, as Marvel Ann, sports the frilly pink bikini and my fellow countryman (or, rather, woman) Kimberley Davies - who appears as Bettina Barnes, a b-movie star - glams it up in a blue one-piece and giant straw hat. Reclining on a beach chair in the shade is the only kind of beach activity I'm drawn to, I must admit. So long as it includes a mocktail with a little umbrella in it!I found some very cute suits on etsy that look exactly like something Chicklet would wear.
I don't usually like to include spoilers about the plot in these but I want to explain what makes this suit so perfect for the film - Chicklet has a split personality and her alter is triggered by circles! So, the circle print on this suit could have some interesting effects. Found here on etsy.One of the final scenes is a Luau (although the surfers refer to it as an 'orgy'...while I'm talking about the surfers, they have the best nicknames: Kanaka, Starcat, Yo Yo and Provolone.)
I just couldn't go past adding in a couple of Hawaiian shirts for the fellas (but, of course, gals can wear them, too):And just to prove that everyone wasn't running around in their swimsuits for the entire movie, here's a little look at some of the other costumes:
They're not 100% authentic but I think they're cute!The film also has a fantastic soundtrack boasting the likes of Los Straitjackets, who actually appear in the film in a dance-off between Marvel Ann and Bettina Barnes at the Luau:
Florence's best friend, Bernadine, in her seance get-up. I couldn't resist adding this screencap in.I know it's going into colder weather in the Northern Hemisphere but I hope you all still enjoyed this, anyway! I sure can't wait for the warmer weather to hit here properly. It's lovely today but it's going to be cold again, tomorrow. Boo!
Love,
Andi B. Goode
x





Perfect summertime inspiration!
ReplyDeletexxx
looove this!
ReplyDeleteI'm currently looking for a vintage-inspired swimsuit, and this has give me some great inspiration - thank you! :)
ReplyDeleteA xx
I love love that little yellow play suit!
ReplyDeleteMadeleine Miranda: Thank-you. =]
ReplyDeleteLilee: I'm glad! Thanks. =D
Andrea: You're welcome! And, well, thank-you. I'm glad it gave you some inspiration!
Jen: Isn't it just too lovely? Thanks for the comment. =]
I love the collection of stills! Thanks for sharing!
ReplyDeleteCatherine: You're welcome. =] And thank-you! =D
ReplyDelete